Not keen on swallowing your temporary veneers or crowns? While it’s been done before, breaking off and ingesting your temporary coverings isn’t ideal. Not only will it leave you with a feeling of dread, it will also expose your ‘prepared’ teeth. To reduce the chance of this happening, we’ve compiled a list of what not to eat while fitted with temporary veneers or crowns.
Dos and Don’ts to Save Your Teeth
o get fitted with CosMediSmile porcelain veneers or zirconia crowns, clients participate in a 4-step process. Following Step 1 (Consultation & Smile Design), Step 2 will see you trialling your new smile with temporary veneers or crowns.
Temporary veneers or crowns, as the name indicates, are not meant to be long lasting. Instead, they sit over your prepared teeth—the teeth that have had the enamel removed, while our Ceramic Artists craft your custom porcelain veneers or zirconia crowns.
Temporary coverings are not as durable or resistant to staining as their permanent counterparts. Still, they do protect your teeth from uncomfortable sensitivity and, in turn, need to be cared for in the lead up to Step 3 (Applying Your New Smile).
Foods to avoid
To protect your temporary veneers or crowns, avoid eating:
- Foods and drinks that stain (think curries, berries, beetroot, tomatoes, sauces, balsamic vinegar, turmeric, coffee and tea*, red and white wines, juices and soft drinks)
- Chewing gum
- Ice cubes
- Tough/chewy meat and crackling
- Raw, hard fruits and veggies (e.g. apples, carrot, corn and celery)
- Nuts and seeds
- Boiled or sticky lollies
- Chips, crackers and popcorn
- Toasted sandwiches and tough bread
*Note: If your caffeine withdrawal headaches hit hard and you absolutely must have a coffee or tea, we recommend having it with milk.
Foods to eat
Foods you can eat with temporary veneers or crowns include:
- Soft, white meat (chicken and fish)
- Pasta, noodles or gnocchi, but avoid tomato-based sauces
- White rice
- Soft, crustless bread
- Cereal (softened by milk)
- Mashed potato
- Soft canned foods
- Soft, non-staining fruits (e.g. bananas)
When preparing for your stint with temporary veneers or crowns, use these lists to guide your menu choices. Remember, our Cosmetic Dental Specialists are just a call away, so if there’s anything you’re unsure of, phone 1300 000 633.